Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Things to Consider Before Getting your Hole

When I was a teenager my Mammy used to warn me. "Don't get that piercing or you will be left with a big scar."

"Don't worry about it, piercings are temporary, they can be taken out and the hole closes up," I used to tell her.

It's over ten years later.
Who was right?
And who was wrong?

One of the first piercings I ever got was my tongue, but for the sake of my teeth I took it out. Looking at the scar up close I think we can all agree that this looks nasty.

Although some of the piercings I chose were a little on the adventurous side,  I've gotten away lightly with scarring.

I don't regret any of my piercings. Although it probably was foolish to try the same microdermal on my cheek 3 times.  It wasn't my brightest moment placing another implant into scar tissue on the nape of my neck either.  Considering there was a bar here and then this small implant, it's not too bad.









One night I was feeling particularly brave and convinced a piercer to do this one.  This hand-web piercing is known as a difficult one, so I got it on my left hand.  However it was surprisingly hard to keep clean and heal.  So I only wore a ring in it for a couple months before my job forced me to say good bye to it.  When you look at my hand now, you would never know I had it.


My madison was one of my favorites, but I was most worried about the scar this might leave.  Once bitten twice shy.  I learnt from my nape piercing to take it out as soon as signs of rejection were appearing.  After a few months of loving this one, it came out, and all that's left is two very faint dots.




In July 2012 during labour the midwives told me to take out all my piercings.  After taking out my upper lip piercing I was left with not only a gaping hole, but also a big dent into the skin.  I would go as far as saying this looks like a slight deformity, which completely changes the look of my face.  After a few days trying to get used to this appearance I finally pushed the bar back through, and haven't looked back since.


The medusa (upper lip) piercing is one of the few piercings I have left. Unfortunately I will find it difficult to get rid of this one permanently. It is the exception to my "no regrets".

My bottom lip has been done both vertically and horizontally. It has now been retired with a very acceptable scar.  As you can see in the photo, it is about as noticeable as the couple of freckles near it.

I have very piercings left and there will come a day in my life when they all must go.   Piercings might be for Mammies, but I'm not sure if they're for Grannies. But when I do become a Granny I'm sure a dent in my lip will be the least of my worries.

If you want a piercing, go out and get it.  Take a look at the marks I have been left with.  How you would feel about similar ones?

"The scars of others should teach us caution." 
St Jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment